Drapes vs Blinds vs Curtains
Prior to choosing a new window dressing for your home or business, you will need to establish whether drapes, blinds or curtains best suit your requirements. As such, the experts here at Angel Blinds have put together this article comparing each, so you can decide which fits with your needs, taste and budget.
What are the benefits of blinds?
With an extensive range of blinds available, you’ll be spoilt for choice when deciding on a fabric, colour or pattern. Delivering on both performance and style, blinds can instantly transform the look of any room, whilst improving the functionality of the room. Benefits include:
- Exceptional light control and adjustability
- Easy to clean
- Improved privacy levels
- Made to measure service
- Better insulation
From PVC shutters for bathrooms and kitchens to Venetian blinds for schools and offices, the extensive range of styles available means you’ll have no trouble finding the perfect design fit with your business or home. From withstanding stains and splashes to coping with regular use, each style of blind has been specially designed to suit the requirements of different rooms.
What’s the difference between curtains and drapes?
Although many of us use the words interchangeably, contrary to popular belief drapes and curtains are not the same. Whilst both can adorn your windows and improve insulation and light control in a room, when comparing the two there are clear differences between their style and functionality.
In contrast with curtains, drapes are made from heavier materials which are fully lined to prevent any light filtering into the room when closed. Features of drapes include:
- Improved privacy levels and light control as no sheer or transparent fabrics are used
- Fully lined to prevent glare from sunlight and to protect any fabric exposed to light
- Made to floor length for better insulation
- Protects against accumulation of dust
- Elegant, luxurious style ideally suited to manors, mansions and churches
Conversely, curtains are made from lightweight materials available in a range colours and patterns depending on your preferences and taste. Features of curtains include:
- Cheaper than drapes
- Usually unlined, giving you the option of pairing them with blinds or shutters should you prefer
- Can be made from cotton, linen, sheer or lacy fabrics if you do not intend to use them for privacy
- Popular for their practicality, making them perfectly suited to home and offices, as well as restaurants and cinemas on a commercial scale
- Available in varying lengths depending on the size of the window
- Gives you the option of including many pleats for greater stack back when open, or fewer pleats for better space efficiency
Drapes vs Blinds vs Curtains
When choosing between all three of these window treatments, you must carefully consider your requirements, taste and budget, as well as the purpose and decor of the room. That way, you can refine your search to relevant styles and will be better informed when contacting a professional.
The ‘Browse by Room’ page on the Angel Blinds website gives you detailed information and inspirational ideas about which style of blinds will suit the different rooms in your home. From size and colour to fit and feel, our experts are always on hand to provide expert advice on which type of blinds will best suit your application.
We manufacture, supply and install all of our blinds and shutters ourselves, ensuring a high level of service from start to finish. Simply contact us today to find out more about our services, or visit our newly refurbished showroom to see product samples first hand.
Not sure what you need? Talk to one of our friendly staff on 0191 6660 183